· Physics 537, Thermodynamics & Kinetics of Materials
Solid State Chemistry or Physics (3 academic credits)
· Chem 465, Solid State and Materials Chemistry
· Physics 472, Solid State Physics
IMSE 500 - IMSE First-Year Research Rotation (3 academic credits) During their first year, students are required to register for and complete one research rotation with IMSE faculty mentors (Core or Affiliate Faculty). A presentation and report on one of the research rotations will be an integral component of the qualifying exam. The rotations are chosen in consultation with the Director of Graduate Studies and must be mutually agreeable to both the student and the mentor. At the completion of the rotation, the student must submit to the Director of Graduate Studies a written report approved by the mentor.
3 courses (9 credits) from a pre-approved list of Materials Science and Engineering electives
Sufficient graduate elective courses from any IMSE department to reach a total of 36 academic credits.
· A maximum of 3 credits of IMSE 502. Independent Study, will be permitted toward this requirement.
· 400 level courses not included on the pre-approved list of Materials Science and Engineering electives must be approved by the Graduate Studies Committee.
· A maximum of 12 credits of 400 level courses may be applied to the required 36 academic credits.
Successfully complete a minimum of 36 research credits (IMSE 600).
Students must maintain an average grade of B (GPA 3.0) for all 72 credits. Additionally, the required courses must be completed with no more than one grade below a B–. Up to 24 graduate credits may be transferred with the approval of the Graduate Studies Committee.